the words get all stopped up

Wednesday, March 25, 2009


They do that sometimes, you know. Get stopped up. I don't have a terrific ability to share the humorous anecdotes about flirting with Pete at lunchtime, being on the phone all day, rescuing my little sandPiper from her first anthill, getting up on a soft, cloudy morning with Pete gone to work already. I'll settle for phrases for now to say that I have been busy, busy cleaning and organizing and working and resting and not going to bed very early because I'm not sleepy when I'm tired.

I want to write about friendships lost and friendships re-found, about weddings and things that are coming, about loving the rain and how it helps with the pollen that makes me sneeze. I want to write about this quiet, firm trust I have in God, to tell you that I feel today that I don't have to strive to reach Him. I know He is near, even in the fog of everything I'm doing or not doing outside of the time that races and crawls and tries to hold me captive to its tyranny.

But writing is failing me; the words are all stopped up in feeling, too tired to come from my deep. So I look for images and favorite pictures and things in my world that keep me real. My baby's first smile, her extra-special never-let-go hugs and dancing to autumn in the morning. My husband's picture behind the soft pink he found for me at WalMart on Saturday, my favorite candy all white and beautiful and sparkled, and an azalea that I managed to capture after all.

Perhaps soon, I'll put some words to some thoughts I have had, thoughts about not knowing everything but feeling like I know everything I know, thoughts about love and life and a good and perfect gift. For now, for today, this is my quiet place, and I am puttering, waiting for the words to come...

7 comments:

Alethea Jordan said...

"A picture is worth a thousand words..." =)

Kelly Sauer said...

tell me about it - one of my favorite blogs is a photo blog called "Short on Words." I envy her creativity - wish I'd thought of it first!

Jessica said...

Maybe you feel you don't have the words to share your anecdotal stories (at least not today), but you certainly have a way with words. You make every post sound like a poem. :-)

But I totally understand the writer's block feeling... Perfectionism is a curse sometimes. :-p

SE'LAH... said...

This post is sheer joy.

Happy Love Thursday!

Cam said...

Happy Love Thursday!!

I get the same way, when the words that come don't seem to do the feelings that prompt them any justice...

emily said...

When my words get stopped up I say stupid things like literary constipation and I take pictures of myself with 2 heads on my iMac photobooth. But that is why you are a poet and I am a freak.

Kelly Sauer said...

but Emily, it is the freaks who make the poets laugh, and I really needed that tonight! I wish I was a freak!

Post a Comment

Talk to me, if you like.