Like a Shepherd

Thursday, December 16, 2004

"He will feed His flock like a shepherd; He will gather the lambs with His arm, and carry them in His bosom, and gently lead those who are with young."
~Isaiah 40:11

I guess that focusing on the gentle love of God can be pretty dangerous in a Christian society driven by an exacting regimen of right and wrong, but I'm going to risk it for one short blog, because it's something I think I need to remember.

One familiar lesson from a hundred sermons: Sheep are STUPID. They don't know anything. They'd run right off a cliff if they get scared enough. But if there's one thing that I know from experience, it is that sheep know the voice of their shepherd. We could talk about the hand that feeds them--DUH, they're going to recognize the voice.

There is a song based on this verse that has been going through my head for the last couple of weeks. Each time it has started playing through my heart, it calms me where nothing else has or could. Why?


I think it's because I can trust a God who leads, who shelters, who provides, who carries, and who gathers. Somewhere in the midst of all of my fear and struggle and confusion, my heart still believes that God really is good, that He is gentle with His children, and that I know His voice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, if you like.