Links Between Trust and Mercy

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Ps. 13:5
But I have trusted in Your mercy; my heart shall rejoice in Your salvation.

Psalm 21:7
For the king trusts in the LORD, And through the mercy of the Most High he shall not be moved.

Psalm 32:10
Many sorrows shall be to the wicked; But he who trusts in the LORD, mercy shall surround him.

Psalm 33:20-22
Our soul waits for the LORD; He is our help and our shield. For our heart shall rejoice in Him, because we have trusted in His holy name. Let Your mercy, O LORD, be upon us, just as we hope in You.

Psalm 34:22
The LORD redeems the soul of His servants, and none of those who trust in Him shall be condemned.

Psalm 52:8
But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God; I trust in the mercy of God forever and ever.

~~~~~~~~

This morning in my reading, I found a link between trust and mercy. I don't quite understand it. In some verses, the Psalmist trusts in God's mercy, in others, He trusts in the Lord and receives mercy.

In those times that I waste beating myself up, do I truly trust God? Do I even trust in His mercy? The contrast between the two questions makes me wonder if sometimes it's a little easier for a human to trust in God's mercy when they've sinned than it is for a human to trust God Himself. It also makes me think that perhaps when the Psalmist speaks of trusting in God and receiving mercy, it shows that he knows God, and has known His goodness in the past.

Perhaps mercy is something that I can understand without necessarily knowing God or remembering who He is--and it is something that draws me to a better knowledge of Him. But once I have known Him and when I remember who He is, I may be trusting Him, and I still receive the mercy which I learned He offers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, if you like.