On Restful Weekends

Monday, July 11, 2005

First, I had a good weekend. I spent Friday night and Saturday night at a B&B. It was cool, though I probably won't go back. The owner thought my fiancé was a girl. *growl*

Saturday evening, Pete drove up and we went to dinner at one of our favorite restaurants in Staunton, which was about an hour from the B&B. I had a theoretical curling iron that turned out to not heat up in reality, so despite the fact that my make-up was good, my clothes were good, it wasn't *quite* the date I'd wanted to give him, but it was special. I bought him six cards (out of ten--I can show restraint!!!) and gave them to him throughout the weekend. The last one was followed with a silent dance and a really cool kiss... *blush* Can I just wow?

But, I'm not just talking about Pete in this post. I spent most of Saturday morning in bed, just resting. I didn't bring any books to read except my Bible. I listened to the rest of the Piper poem about Job, and by the time it was done, I was nearly in tears. Instead of the struggle that I expected, I found that God simply opened my heart to love again. It was so special. All the time I was placing my hope in His bringing about something I wanted, He was still working in my heart to draw my hope to Himself alone.

I was stunned as I realized how much Job had lost--and how much God gave in return. My valley of sorrow has been real, and it's been very dark... but to know that God was in it with me, all the time being so gentle with me, and giving me the desires of my heart, even when I couldn't see what they were. Why would He give me Pete when I was being such a blasted idiot? I spent the morning praising God for His doings in my life, for creating just the right sort of breeze for a coolish Saturday morning, for soft beds and cell phone calls and for a wonderful person that I never saw coming into my life. He has been so good to me!

On Sunday, I cleaned. You may think that isn't restful. *grin* Bummer. I destress while I clean. After a conversation with Mom about the wedding stress, I needed to destress, so I decided to move my room around. It was such a mess anyway, I wasn't going to be able to sleep. I even did dishes last night! AND I found my missing keys! By the time I went to bed last night, I quite deserved it, and I enjoyed that sleep!

Today, I've got a bit more energy than usual, which is a good thing, because Pete and I are doing a bit of running to get the wedding invitations out this week and get our new car--an exact copy of my old one, with a lot less mileage!

It's back to work for me now, but had to update!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, if you like.