Soft, Happy Mornings

Wednesday, November 2, 2005

I woke up this morning to the sound of my husband in the shower and the sight of the first rays of sunlight climbing over the horizon to filter through trees that had burst into flame overnight. I lay in bed for a while, contemplating the beauty outside, noticing that it was a bit warmer than it had been the last few mornings--there was no frost.

As I realized that I had time to reach for my Bible, I paused, and smiled. For the first time in a while, I actually wanted to. My heart feels soft again, quiet with peace that God is good, and that He is working in my life. As the sun rose higher and the morning got busy, I felt rested, ready to face the day and what it would bring.

I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust.
~Psalm 91:2

I've been through so many trials over the last few years, but it is those trials that have drawn the deepest places of my heart to Him so that I can feel so deeply the peace that He brings from the storms. I don't just know in my head that He is my refuge. I have seen it.

Lord, thank you...

O Thou who art my quietness, my deep repose,
My rest from strife of tongues, my holy hill,
Fair is Thy pavilion, where I hold me still.

Back let them fall from me, my clamorous foes,
Confusions multiplied;
From crowding things of sense I flee
And in Thee hide.
Until this tyranny be overpast,
Thy hand will hold me fast.

What though the tumult of the storm increase,
Grant to Thy servant strength, O Lord,
And bless with peace.


~Amy Carmichael

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, if you like.