Not Alone

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Sometimes recently, when Pete has gone to sleep earlier than I have, or when we've had to be apart for a while, I've been reminded by my baby's movement that I am not alone. It usually brings a smile to my face to feel the kicking or somersaults or whatever it is that is going on inside my tummy--and with the smile comes an odd sense of comfort, that if anything ever happens to Pete, "hey Mommy, I'm here!" and I will not be left alone.

This last Sunday, the same sort of thing happened for me on a totally different plane.

Have you ever felt as though you're the only one in the world who believes what you believe? You know that what you believe is true--it's what God has taught you, it's in His Word, and it's what you have chosen to step out on faith and follow His leading on, but it seems as though nobody understands or approves your choice or understanding of His will for your life.

On Sunday, Pete and I found ourselves in a roomful of believers who had, in many ways, walked the same paths that we have. The fellowship that we shared was some of the sweetest fellowship I have ever known. By the time we left, six hours after our arrival, these complete strangers felt like friends we had known forever.

Why? I keep asking myself this as I go over and over Sunday's events. Why was this fellowship, this unity so sweet? Why weren't there the doctrinal squabbles that should have been present between people of such varying denominational backgrounds? Why did one group on one side of the room start a conversation about what God has shown them about tithing and another group who didn't know it was being discussed over there begin the *same* conversation on the other side of the room, in complete agreement with what was being said in the other conversation? Why could we speak of His speaking to us and have each person nod with an understanding of His leading in our lives? Why was it that out of the ten or so marriages we saw in that room on Sunday, they were *ALL* healthy marriages with husband and wife loving and serving each other and communicating with one another and being real with everyone else around them?

For the first time in my entire life, I think I experienced His church as it is meant to be. But it wasn't in an "established" church. These people had just come together last weekend! How could we have been sharing and speaking on such a deep level? We all had nothing to hide--and nothing to share, except Christ.

I felt a tickling in my heart, like I feel in my tummy from Weebix, as if God was reminding me, "Hey, I'm still here. Don't despair. Take heart. I am building My church. You can trust Me. I will lead you to the people and the places that I want you. You are not alone."

My words cannot describe what I saw in that living room on Sunday, but God brought two passages to mind that might explain a bit more:

Therefore, brethren, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is, His flesh, and having a High Priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.” (Hebrews 10:19-25)

These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. For those who say such things declare plainly that they seek a homeland. And truly if they had called to mind that country from which they had come out, they would have had opportunity to return. But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.” (Hebrews 11:13-16)

5 comments:

Heidi said...

*smile* I'm so glad I was able to share that amazing afternoon with you. Isn't God good?

Anonymous said...

And I'm sorry I had to leave early. I enjoyed meeting you so much and am praying with you through your pregnancy!

Blessings,

Wayne

Lynette said...

Hey Kelly, I tried commenting on your blog this morning but it appears to have got lost in cyberspace somewhere so I shall try again!

I hope you've recovered from your full weekend, I'm so glad we were able to share that afternoon with you too :-) It was very special for us as well, one of those immaculate connections that Father makes from time to time! I hope you and Pete find yourselves in our living room again! :-) You're welcome any time, that's for sure!

We SO appreciated meeting you both and hearing what Father has been doing in you and through you; great stuff!!! And please let Pete know that I really appreciated his willingness to help out in the kitchen and the way he takes care of you two too! :-)

Love,
Lynette

PaperYarnGirl said...

Hi there! We enjoyed meeting you all so much! What a wonderful fun day... I hope we can all meet up again soon. Take care of yourself, and keep us posted on the baby news! :-)

Also... do you have an email address for you and Pete?

andie said...

*grin*

I'm so glad that God gave you that :-)

prayers for you~

Post a Comment

Talk to me, if you like.