My Secret Political Life

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Most people who know me may be aware that I express very few political opinions in public. I know what I think about politics and government and the state of the world in general, and I'd rather not express it. Asking me about my political beliefs is like asking the proverbial woman about her weight. I won't tell - or I'll make it up.

I do, however, derive a keen sense of amusement at one particular, usually unmentioned aspect of my non-political life: my repeated appearances at various local political functions to sing the national anthem.

In this one area, I indulge an Austen-like approach to life, knowing that while I am one of them, I am not really one of them. They are themselves, but they are not themselves.

I come, I sing, I inspire, I leave.

And nobody knows that I may not have agreed with the governor this or the chairman that over those points. They don't know my secret desire (that must go unfulfilled) to vote for Senator "X" just to tweak everyone I know. They don't know that the pomp and circumstance and repeated not-so-enthusiastic applause makes me giggle. My presence among them means that I support everything they are fighting for.

And, you know, I don't really mind. This is the way they do things.

They don't know that every time I sing, I am praying against the politics, that somehow the story I tell with my song will offer a pause in the machine and remind them of who they are beyond their goals for the year's elections.

I'm so outside that I get to be alive. I get to hold my own opinions and believe what I want to believe as I sing. The music is not bound by the expectations of the party.

What I love is that for my song, the applause is always real.

1 comments:

Tricia said...

I would love to hear you sing. It must be inspiring!

Post a Comment

Talk to me, if you like.