Dailiness

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

You know how we tend to go through our days and do everything we can to live up to what we're meant to be, what we want to be, what others want us to be, and what God wants us to be? I found a cool word for it last night: "dailiness."

It's funny. We humans have a tendency to try to live every moment as if it's going to be eternal. But time isn't eternal. Moments aren't eternal. I may be good in this moment and horrid in that moment. But neither moment defines the rest of my life, not really.

Something I am learning in waiting on the Lord to do His work in my life is that there are a lot of things in my heart that I can do nothing about. Yesterday and today, it made things icky, but as He works and changes me, I will be more like Him tomorrow. That's hope.

I think human "drama" comes from overemphasizing dailiness. Each moment *must* be lived in the right! We must be perfect in all our ways! The events and actions of our lives must be filtered, lived, conquered, through the lens of time. This means that much is made of things in our daily lives that draw our hearts away from knowing Him. It refocuses our desires on living out the drama to a happy ending instead of waiting on God, on resolving issues rather than hoping for His healing, on taking control instead of trusting Him in our lives and in the lives of others.

Being wisely circumspect means that we remember that God's mercies are new every morning. Each moment is not the end of our lives, and if it is (because our lives are but a moment), we know He still holds tomorrow. We are dust and He is eternal. I think being circumspect means remembering that our perspective on time is very limited. Eternal life is found in knowing an eternal God.

I am not the sum of my habits. I am not the sum of my regrets. I am not the sum of my efforts. I love, love, love that I have been declared righteous in Christ. I love that His Spirit in me is sanctifying me. I love, love, love that as I abide in Him, He abides in me and brings forth His fruit.

Some dailiness is necessary. Piper has drama at me when she realizes that she's on the wrong side of the gate or when she wants something I'm not giving her. We have diapers to change and a house to clean and health issues. We interact with others at varying relationship levels on a daily basis.

But in living the daily, we have an eternal hope and a chance for some inner peace - if we will trust God to be the eternal one in the dailiness of our lives, instead of trying to perfect ourselves from one moment to the next.

Our failure matters less then. What glory comes from His work in us and in those around us belongs to Him.

In five years, I won't be the person that I am today.

God never changes. He is I AM.

(Image from SXC)

3 comments:

cori said...

Kelly,

I just LOVED this post. I love seeing how your thoughts play out. I never really even thought of our 'dailiness' in this light before - but now I can't think of it in any other way. I even shared your blog with a friend today, knowing it would brighten her day as much as it did mine. Thank you sooooo much for reminding me that "I am not the sum of my habits...of my regrets...of my efforts." I REALLY needed to be reminded of that today. Jesus spoke right to my through you - thank you.

Kelly Sauer said...

Awh Cori - thanks! You made my day with your comment. For the record, your blog gives me the same sort of encouragement all the time!

Leeann said...

Just re-read this and found it to be very much what God has been teaching me, though I haven't been able to put the words to it that you have. Thank you, as always, dear sister.

Post a Comment

Talk to me, if you like.